Predazzo (1018 m above the sea level) is situated at the confluence of the brook Travignolo in the river Avisio. The village and its surroundings do represent an extremely interesting geological area. As a consequence, Predazzo has attracted many scholars, especially geologists and mineralogists, from all over the world since the beginning of the 20th century.
The village is of Medieval origin and is characterized by traditional farmhouses decorated with religious frescos, and by old monolithic fountains or mirror-fountains, made of local stone or wood.
Nowadays Predazzo is a well-known and well-established tourist-resort. Its old town is full of shops and craft workshops.In July the nearby meadows play host to the National Horse Show called “DieciGiorniEquestre”, whilein January the cross-country trail of Marcialonga Nordic Skiing Racepasses right through the village.
In the main square of Predazzoyou can visit St Philippe and St Jacob Church (built in 1866 in the neo-gothic style and characterized by a particular tiled-roof recalling the shape of a beaver’s tail), as well as the modern and well-organized geological museum of Dolomites, where you will find a wide, interesting section entirely dedicated to geology, minerals and fossils of Dolomites mountains.
Bellamonte, an hamlet of Predazzo, is located in a sunny position and to the wide mountain , does represent the ideal setting for relaxing walks, both in winter and in summer.